Companies That Can Help Elders Move
Loneliness with Aging Is Inevitable But Can be Managed

Husband with Alzheimer’s refuses to see specialist

Dear Carol: My husband went for a physical and was surprised by a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. He’s in denial and won’t see a specialist for confirmation. So far, he can still function almost normally except for short-term memory loss and occasional confusion. His primary care doctor prescribed Aricept and Namenda, for now, but he did suggest we get a second opinion. What can I do to help my husband? Gale

Dear Gale: Your husband’s denial isn’t unusual. He likely doesn’t want the diagnosis confirmed, so you may want to suggest a specialist by saying that the primary doctor could be wrong, which does happen. There are many types of dementia and a specialist is more likely to be able determine what specific type of dementia is present.

Read more about helping someone who is in denial about Alzheimer's:

Purchase Minding Our Elders: Caregivers Share Their Personal Stories – paperback or ebook




Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.